MONGOLIA: Parliamentary Elections, 28 June 2012
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Tsakhia ELBEGDORJ *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Sukhbaatar BATBOLD
- Assembly: Mongolia has a unicameral State Great Hural (Ulsyn Ikh Khural) with 76 seats.
* To be eligible to seek the presidency, one must belong to a political party with seats in parliament but resign that party affiliation upon taking office.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term.
- The Prime Minister is elected by parliament.
- In the State Great Hural (Ulsyn Ikh Khural), 48 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms and 28 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
*** In the nominal tier, there will be 6 single-member constituencies, 18 two-member constituencies and 2 three-member constituencies.There is a five percent threshold in the PR tier.
- Population: 3,179,997 (July 2012 est.)
- Presidential - May 2013
- Parliamentary - June 28, 2012
- Presidential - May 24, 2009
- Parliamentary - June 29, 2008
- Presidential - May 22, 2005
- Parliamentary - June 27, 2004
- Presidential - May 20, 2001
- Parliamentary - July 2, 2000
Source: Election Guide