As a member of the Senior Management team, the Executive Director provides leadership, guidance and strategic planning in the development and implementation of activities that support International IDEA’s mandate and work programmes.
The Executive Director strengthens International IDEA’s financial position and is responsible for the direction and management of the Executive Division of International IDEA, implementing the infrastructure and systems needed to support the strategic objectives of the organization which include financial management, human resources, IT and resource mobilization. S/he is required to act on his/her own authority as delegated by the Secretary-General and is responsible for decisions made affecting the work of the Executive Division and International IDEA as a whole.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the Executive Division, ensuring the division delivers effective management and support to activities;
- Contributes to the overall leadership of International IDEA, as a member of the Senior Management team, generates new initiatives and approaches to progress International IDEA’s operation; Supports fundraising initiatives;
- Collaborates on the development of the multi-annual strategy; Coordinates Programme Development;
- Leads the finance function, ensures proper management of the Institute’s financial affairs and effective control and management of the Institute’s income and expenditure; Advises and supports the Senior Management team with financial planning strategies; Oversees high quality reporting such as the Annual Results Report and Financial Statements;
- Develops and implements resource mobilisation strategies, and liaises with funding institutions, donors and partners to develop networks in collaboration with the Senior Management team;
- Directs the human resource strategic function with a focus on organisational development;
- Directs the IT function, ensuring continuous development and implementation of the Institute’s IT services;
- Contributes to the development, and implementation of International IDEA’s risk management policies;
- Oversees the support functions of the organization, including the overall management of premises, maintenance of the Institutes risk management register, archive and registry system.
- Recognised as an expert within the organization; Combines in-depth and/or breadth of expertise in own discipline and broad knowledge of other disciplines within the function;
- Provides leadership and direction through managers; Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Is accountable for the performance and results of related disciplines;
- Decisions are guided by functional strategy and priorities; Executes functional operational plans and contributes to the development of functional strategy;
- Solves unique and complex problems that have a broad impact on the organization;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities; Supports the implementation of organization’s policy in relation to equality of opportunity;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting, audit, legal compliance, and budget development; Has in-depth knowledge and extensive work experience in organizational development and human resources management.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Applies broad sector and global awareness to drive financial and operational performance across sub-functions;
- Has broad and comprehensive understanding of different systems, theories and practices of relevant issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented;
- Has the ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas and to transfer knowledge and skills;
- Is active in the search for information on donors and partners, and identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Has knowledge of statutory frameworks and international accounting standards;
- Has demonstrable experience in implementing significant change processes;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- Leads through subordinate managers of managers (direct and indirect); Executes functional operational plans and contributes to the development of functional strategy;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Acts as Officer in Charge (OIC) in the Secretary-General’s absence.
- Directs the resolution of highly complex or unusual operational problems applying advanced analytical thought and judgment.
- Guided by functional strategy, impacts results of part of a function, division or region or facilitates the work done by other functions by providing support to impact the organisation.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Fluency in English and at least one other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) is essential;
- Negotiates and influences the opinions of others within the unit and in external organizations; exercises sensitivity to the audience;
- Represents International IDEA effectively in all professional circles.
Education and Experience
- Post-graduate qualification in financial accounting, public administration, business administration or similar relevant subject;
- Membership of a professional accountancy body is essential;
- Minimum ten (10) years’ experience in financial, budgeting, and administration management;
- Minimum six (6) years’ experience at a senior management level in an organization with a record of success in human resources and financial management linking service delivery to strategic objectives;
- Proven track record of achieving results in a corporate or a non-profit environment, with demonstrated success in developing policies, procedures and processes and building systems and tools to support a growth-oriented organization;
- Experience of high level representation on behalf of organizations and with donors, member states and partners;
- Experience of governmental, intergovernmental and/or non-governmental organizations;
- Experience in project management and related financial reporting;
- Experience with negotiation of donor agreements or government contracts is highly desirable;
- Knowledge of issues related to democracy support is highly desirable;
- Experience overseeing the implementation of robust monitoring and evaluation and results reporting systems;
- Experience with fundraising and resource mobilization.
Terms of Contract:
- Three (3) year fixed term appointment.
- Competitive salary plus benefits.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 31 October 2017.
- Applications must be sent in English.