The workshop is jointly organised by the Committee on Social Affairs of the National Assembly of Viet Nam and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
The event will be chaired by H.E. Vice-chair of the Viet Nam National Assembly and will bring together around 70 participants, including parliamentarians from ASEAN and other countries, leaders from the Viet Nam National Assembly, leaders of the Viet Nam National Assembly Office, senior parliamentary staff, gender practitioners, and parliamentary development experts. The main objectives of the workshop are:
- To provide participants with knowledge on successful international initiatives to implement national strategies on gender equality;
- To allow participants from dedicated gender equality committees and parliamentary women groups to share experiences in fostering gender equality, including the work of AIPA women MPs on mainstreaming gender and promoting the implementation of strategies on gender equality to increase the role and position of women MPs in parliamentary activities;
- To discuss the implementation of international conventions and treaties, like CEDAW, that governments worldwide, including Viet Nam and other AIPA members have committed themselves to;
- To further promote the global realisation of the Millennium Development Goals, especially Goal 3 on the promotion of gender equality and empowerment of women.
The workshop will focus on the following topics:
- Progress and challenges of gender mainstreaming through parliament;
- Country experiences: Parliamentary committees and women Caucuses;
- Country experiences: Legal frameworks and strategies on gender equality;
- Networking and sources for support and information on gender equality;
- Plan of action and ways forward to promote gender equality in parliaments.