Unpacking Democracy: Why Gender Equality Matters
This event contributes and sustains the efforts to sustain gender equality on the global agenda for democracy. Join us for a panel discussion with the Summit for Democracy’s Gender Equality Cohort. The Gender Cohort will provide insights into the Cohort’s work by presenting the knowledge-based recommendations prepared for the 2023 Summit for Democracy. The panel will highlight the importance and good practices for advancing gender equality as a prerequisite for democracy in the post-Summit context.
Gender equality is an integral part of thriving democracies, but few consider it as a prerequisite for democracy. At the same time, democracy is being undermined by the same forces that are pushing back on women’s rights, participation, and representation in public life.
- Kevin Casas-Zamora, Secretary-General, International IDEA
- Rumbidzai Kandawasvika-Nhundu, Senior Advisor, Democracy and Inclusion, International IDEA
- Sofia Calltorp, Ambassador for Gender Equality, Sweden
- Gianina Dimitrescu, Director, Directorate for Equal Opportunities and Treatment Between Women and Men, National Agency for Equal Opportunities for Women and Men, Romania
- Ambassador Melanne Verveer, Executive Director, Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace, and Security (GIWPS)
- Tatyana Teplova, Head of Division and Senior Counsellor for Gender Equality, Justice and Inclusiveness, Directorate for Public Governance, OECD
International IDEA HQ and Webex